Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 416-B questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member David Cox's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi friends,

    I'm loading my A7s with 416-Bs have a couple of questions.
    The first question is this: When they're loaded in the cabinet should they align perfectly with the hole in the horn? Mine don't. There's about an inch more woofer showing on top than bottom.

    Second: One of the woofers arrived to me with white flakes of something stuck to the lip. I tried gently brushing it off, but this stuff is really on there.
    How do I get this stuff off without damaging the paper?

    Thanks for all your help.

    David

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello David,

    Here is a view of a factory A7 and 416-B. As for stuff on the cone or surround, if a vacuum cleaner with a dusting brush attachment won't get it I'd tend to leave it alone. It might not be cosmetically what you want but is it worth inadvertently damaging the cone? forums

    FactoryA7

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Altec Fan, Later today I am going down to meet the old speaker repair gut I told you about. I hope to leave with a hand full of goodies. When I saw the picture you posted of the a7 I began to wonder if the grill cloth that is cometimes seen infront of the woofer driver makes much of a differnets in sound? Cheers. And thanks again for the cabs. I tell everyone I got them from the lower antarktic (SP)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member David Cox's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the reply, Altec Fan. Here's a shot of how my 416 lines up. It's definitely not right. I'll pop the cover off the cabinet and take another look.

    David416

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Igor!

    If you can get what you need you better plan on several trips at only a handfull per trip! forums As for grill cloth the Holy Grail is always to be "acoustically transparent". Probably not such an issue at lower frequencies unless the grill cloth is a real Persian rug to begin with. At higher freqs it can be a concern, however. Stay with something thin, sheer, and/or loose weave. BTW, it was only -9 last night - a veritable heat wave! forums

    Later . . .

  6. #6
    Inactive Member lvd1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2003
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    your lf board looks centered like mine also, but the opening looks like it could handle a 16 inch lf frame. (altec fan's) lf board does not look centered. i wonder if this is altec, altered or homemade differences? good observation. there seems to be many questions here about altec in general, i hope it is just a matter of our time to find and share info.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi lvd1569,

    I cropped that image out of a larger photo. The camera was positioned slightly to the right and above the center axis of the driver thus skewing the perspective a little. I think the curvature of the horn flares may accentuate the effect even more. In reality, the opening is centered both vertically and horizontally at the rear of the flare and the driver is centered in the opening. That particular cabinet has some internal mods but the driver location and mounting are unchanged from the way Altec manufactured it.

    Later . . .

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member joyspring's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    275
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Dave,

    I think lvd1569 is on the right track here; it appears that your A-7 enclosures were intended for the later 16" `Fat Lip' drivers whereas your 416-B has the older 15-3/16" frame.

    You may consider gluing additional wood blocks underneath the driver frame to properly align the driver to the opening.

    BobR

  9. #9
    Inactive Member David Cox's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the help out everyone. I loaded the second 416 into the other cabinet and it aligns perfectly. The cabinets are a match pair, except for the mounting studs being off.
    I think I'll just drill and retap the studs and align it perfectly myself. But I'm going to do that at a later date--I want to hear these beauties today!
    Thanks again,
    David

  10. #10
    Inactive Member lvd1569's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 26th, 2003
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    no problem, that one speak can have the holes *****d and relocated. (altec fan) hey to you to, i now see the shadow on top, great were all centered. if any of you fans know info on the crossover binding post, please reply.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.